the story of a girl/woman

[author's note: this post is dedicated to Valerie M. Blakey aka the coolest junior I know, former roommate & currently shares my brain at times...]

Once upon a time, (actually March 7th, 2006) I was introduced to Valerie Blakey (pictured left). At the time, all i knew about this girl was that she was in the Corps of Cadets and did video stuff for Freedom at one time. Little did I know, that in less than a week, I would find out that we were possibly friends/twins in a former life.

Our story begins during Spring Break, on a mission trip to Grove City, PA. Early in the trip it is very obvious that Valerie is super cool and i immediately want to be her friend..so we become roommates for the duration of our stay in the Metroplex of SR, GC and Harrisville, and by roommates, I mean inseparable for the remainder of the trip, experimenting in the realms of telepathy(-not really).
Background: Valerie Marie (yup, we share a middle name) B. was born on June 12th, in some year after 1982.. Shes from Mississppi and enjoys playing outside, especially rock climbing. As I mentioned before, Valerie is in the Corps, so she is mostly familiar with things boy due to the fact the Corps is mostly guys. Which is fine, because like all of you know, I'm not a girly-girl [thus we get along fabulously....but it is quite funny that compared to Valerie...i'm pretty girly].

So we continue...
during our stay in PA, it was my job to prepare all the meals and its on Sunday that Valerie takes her first steps at learning girlness...She watched me make banana bread..and even helped a bit: melting the butter! But while she was becoming woman...i was learning boy-i wrestled for the first time in my life-and got my butt kicked. You should also take note that at this time, I had just recently learned how to knit and had my knitting needles going lickidy-split. [And secretly Val was watching every moved and stitch I made ;)] Another important step into womanhood, was the opening the canned food for me on Thursday when I made Taco Soup-she even helped give out the recipe to a lady when I was busy!

It was a the end of the week that Valerie finally bloomed...she made banana bread and even learned how to knit..contributing quite a bit to my scarf-that i will probably have done by next winter. Her training in womanhood has not come to an end, this is only the beginning! Hopefully by the end of the summer we will have mastered the arts of cooking/baking, frolicking, slumber parties and basketweaving....:o)


Valerie, I love you tons and cant believe we hadnt met and been friends before now. You are a delight and i love "taking care of ya"! I'm looking forward to camping and rock climbing and more wrestling..bring it on sista!

You can check out Valerie for yourself at http://vblakey.blogspot.com.

The dynamic duo
grace & peace, lish

0 comments: