in memory of...


the reality of death is so apparent around the holidays, not to be depressing or glum, but its true. The past couple of days I've been thinking a lot about my grandmas. My Grandma Thorne(Dad's mom) who lived in Florida passed away on Valentine's Day and my great-grandma "Kirk Grandma" passed away in June. Grieving is an interesting thing. I really havent figured it out; I know that i miss them..especially the small things that are so apparent during Christmas: Grandma Thorne's package of Christmas goodies. About 2 weeks before Christmas we'd get a UPS package in the mailed-we didnt even have to open it to know it was from Grandma because of the aromas coming from the box-snickerdoodles for Dad, chocolate covered peanuts for Mom and rice crispy treats for us kids-and this year, there will be no box from Florida. [My dad's getting his cookies though...i'm putting them in the mail tomorra :)]
the other day I was talking with Mom about Grandma Thorne, her birthday would've been the 2nd of December, and she said i think the most important thing about death..and its probably been said before & pretty obvious when it comes to grieving, but she said "dont ever act like it didnt happen". So as sort of a reminder and memory of Grandma Thorne, I set up her old Christmas tree with her ornaments & a navity scene she had..its good for me because i think i'm a whole lot like her & it makes being alone in Btown during the holiday season special.

grace & peace,
lish

0 comments: